Saturday, May 15, 2010

From Sky Harbor, Phoenix Arizona

I have two things to say about the leaving process:

1. I am THE most inefficient packer, ever (hands down)
2. It turns out that people are mostly kind

No matter how hard I try to be a good packer, I am awful at it. I wasn’t trying to be too conservative about the AMOUNT of things I was bringing this time around, just since it was all going to go eventually, the more now, the less later. Yet somehow it seemed that I was packing things that didn’t really matter, and I kept finding things I ACTUALLY need that never made it to the suitcase (which were crammed in). My two suitcases were the most awkward looking pieces of luggage with bizarre angles and bulging sides. I’m proud to say the bigger one weighed in at 72 pounds… 22 pounds above normal allowance, and 2 pounds above the “heavy” limit. But they let it slide. There is good in the universe!

I don’t really want to talk about the whole leaving and goodbyes, because those are obviously the worst, and what I hate the most. Suffice it to say that I will miss my family the most, and my sisters above and beyond all else. It wasn’t easy to say a goodbye to move across the country.

Friday night my dad made a trip down to San Diego and I had to frantically finish packing everything. I had to say goodbye to my roommates, and say goodbye to my rat, who is being taken care of by a friend of my coworker who helps run a sort of small animals rescue. That drive home was killer considering we left around 12:30 and that whole week was exhausting, and staying awake was not easy (but made possible in part by Mat Valencia… thanks for the stories and conversation)

Saturday morning I got to have all my family home: sisters, parents + Heather’s Bobby. My dad cooked breakfast and we all ate together and got to play with all the cats and unload the cars from the previous night’s trek. My aunt Joann was even able to stop by to say a farewell.

The airport was rough.

To give you an idea of the state I was in: a woman in front of me at the check-in offered to give me a hug (I accepted). The TSP security handed me a tissue without asking. The woman who took my boarding pass asked me if I would like to rebook, and the stewardess on board brought me water the minute I sat down and then just rubbed my shoulder until she had to do her demonstration. Ironically it’s the times you hurt the most that those sort of gestures just make you feel worse, but alas, it reminds me of the kindness people in the world really do possess.

Now, I am here in the Phoenix airport. Still a wreck, but recovering. Even the desert rock landscape of phoenix is bittersweet… I’m leaving the entire west, and the desert where I would make frequent appearance and trips, it’s not going to be so easy anymore. I passed by a book store that I passed by and immediately spotted a copy of Dr Seuss’s “Oh! The Places You’ll Go!” I sat there and read it and started to feel a little perspective and feel better.



As my wisdomous mentor at work told me “I’ve given up so much and haven’t gotten anything returned yet… but it would come”. All I’ve done so far is say goodbyes, and leave people and things behind. And in this moment im not sure for what.

I know that it may not always be easy, but it will always be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment