Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

My Memorial Day weekend turned out to be pretty good, all things considered! Sleeping in, exploring, and yoga. On Sunday I went to try out the Brooklyn Tabernacle church in Brooklyn and am ashamed to say that I couldn't find it! I was getting frustrated with being lost and getting some rough blisters, so I just ambled to to the Brooklyn bridge before calling it a morning. Just when you think you know a place...! I was humbled. Next week perhaps I'll try again.



Just this weekend I also joined MeetUp.com, it's this website where you can join different groups formed for different interests, and (unlike facebook or myspace) you actually MEET UP to do activities or whatever. I'd heard of it before, and after 2 weeks exploring the city alone, I decided I was at the point that I needed to go out on the limb and try out this social networking thing. A group I joined was having a Memorial Day picnic in Central Park, so I decided to go. I didn't feel weird until I saw this huge group hanging out at the corner of 66th and Central Park West, our designated meeting spot, and I got really shy and awkward. Still, I powered through and it ended up being really fun! Everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming and it was a great day for a picnic, plus there was more than enough food and snacks and the Sheep Meadow in Central Park was packed with people lounging, tanning, playing music, capoeira, sports, yoga, frisbee, etc. It was a great time and it felt good to be out making friends! It turns out that this whole MeetUp thing is huge! If you're a member of one group, you're a member of 10 others, and everyone was talking about all sorts of other MeetUp groups they were involved with and things they would do... movie groups, dining groups, clubbing groups, language groups, origami groups, creative walks group, divorce therapy groups, etc etc! At any rate, I met some nice people and had a great way to spend my Memorial Day in New York.

And lastly, a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my beautiful Alyssa. A great friend from high school, Alyssa and I are so similar in so many aspects of our personality, to not like her would be to not like myself! She is a very dedicated person who knows what she wants, she has great faith, and cares tremendously, I know she always wants the best for me and she supports me and is there for me. She has helped to shape me and my life and was a cornerstone of friendship for me all through high school and college. Love you Alyssa!



Her beautiful wedding in June, 2008



I caught the bouquet at her wedding so you know that means I was her favorite bridesmaid :)

A short work week, yahoo! And hopefully, lots and lots of yoga...

No comments:

Post a Comment