Monday, May 17, 2010

My First Day!

I was running late (old habits die hard). Made myself coffee and took too long getting ready. The best thing about my residence location, however, is the proximity to the 1 train that runs straight down the west side to the block that my work is on. Well I went up to the 125th street station a little stressed that I may make a less than stellar first impression. As luck would have it, the 1 train was cancelled due to some sort of switchboard error. I had no idea where to go.

I called the center director to let him know, and also, for help! He pulled up a map and told me it looked like I could pick up the B train if I just walked a couple blocks east. The only thing east of me was Morningside Park. Even a quick glance down some steps I couldn’t see out of the park. I started to walk down them before I thought, I can’t go wandering through a park! I asked nearly everybody, and finally (after making my way through the park!) I made it to the B train. It was nice to see parents walking their kids to school, construction workers working, police men standing guard, and neighbors walking their dogs, all about everywhere, early in the morning.



When I exited on 34th street (I usually exit the 1 at 29th) I came out onto 6th Ave. My work is on 7th. I wasn’t sure which way to walk so I took a guess and guess what! It was wrong. I had to turn around and go the other way. I was pretty frazzled once I did finally arrive.

Getting settled in was… interesting. I am joining a team of Student Services who divide up all the work that I used to manage single handedly. I report to someone who has been a doing the student services operations for far less time than I have, and in general she seems like she’s not naturally a manager, but tries to exert authority in weird ways… like talking my ear off about something I already know, but just wanting me to see that she knows it? I don’t know.

I like my work area. They call it the “student services bay” and I sit at one of five desks and a work counter in the room. It’s comfortable, and bright, and I like my colleagues, but it’s a little awkward getting adjusted. It’s so much less stressful here, ironically. I don’t have to handle every single issue that comes through, I don’t have to any every question a student ever haves. It’s actually quite refreshing.

We had an all-staff meeting on the first day which, by San Diego comparisons of myself and Antonella the DOS, and the 10 teachers, this was huge! We could barely fit into the largest classroom. Everyone has been very supportive and friendly once they learn that I just moved from California.

I’m getting used to the way things work around here, and the setup of the school even. Not sure where everything is, and I don’t entirely run the show like I used to, but everything here feels so much more legit!

I actually left a little unsettled at the end of the day though. I called the San Diego school many times to talk to the student workers, and to Antonella. I felt like a mother whose child went away to summer camp for the first time. I couldn’t stop thinking about them or contacting them to make sure they were okay! I figured I was just worksick for San Diego.

It’s a transition, I have to enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment