Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Yoga Studio

Please understand how much I cringe when I drop the words or phrases "yoga" or "yoga studio". I realize how pretentious and lame it sounds. But I just have to say that I HATE mindless working out, I can't stand dull hours of treading or stair-mastering... and since I need a partner for tennis, and a team for soccer, yoga is not only a full scale work out (don't knock it til you try it!) but it also enhances flexibility... something I really miss since my glory days on dance teams. So I'm still set on finding a yoga studio, and a few days ago I went to visit another studio.

It wasn't very far, but I don't understand how many times it will take for me to remember DONT WALK THROUGH TIMES SQUARE! Times Square is that beautiful place where 42nd and 7th intersect... and my work is on 7th. So when I was on my way to 3rd and 54th I first walked up 7th to 54th, to walk east to 3rd. This takes you right through Times Square, which as marvelous as it is, when you're actually trying to get somewhere, all the slow, gawking crowds and tourists aren't what you want to run into. It takes double time to get through and safely out of Times Square.



By the time I made it up to 54th I was a little worn out. (In my defense this was after a full working day!) I still went east but as I was crossing 6th Ave, I saw this little number:



Radio City Music Hall! I blew off the yoga studio and hung out in this area which also featured Rockefellar Center and all that jazz. The weird thing about being here in New York is that there are so many things I know about, but they all keep coming up as surprises!

On my way back I passed by a Sam Ash. Since I haven't touched a piano since I left California, I found my way in and sat at the keyboards to play a little. I didn't have music in front of me and couldn't recall too much, and there were rude show-offs playing unabridged pieces like Fur Elise, so my joy was cut short.

Still, another nice day exploring the city block by block. I love that I can find these sorts of things just on my way home from work. It doesn't have to be a planned outing or excursion, and it's not weird to be alone. It feels like the antithesis of California sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment