Saturday, June 5, 2010

Let's Talk About The Weather

I've spent the last 6 years living by the beach, in Santa Barbara and San Diego. And while the weather generally would be mild and breezy, and I would prefer that to the triple digit stifling summer heat of Riverside, I am finding that I actually prefer the latter.

Now I'm not saying it was always enjoyable to be uncomfortably hot, but I really loved those days in high school when I played tennis every afternoon in the hot hot heat and go home to eat popsicles and take cold showers and then stay around the house in my bathing suit without toweling off. I've always said that I would rather burn to death than freeze to death.

What I didn't like about living by the beach, was how cold it would always get in the evenings and nights. No matter the temperature, there's always an ocean breeze which cools everything off, and that's always annoyed me.

It's definitely been heating up in New York City, and it is a heavier heat than the dry desert winds in Riverside. Usually by the time I head out for work around 8a the coolness of morning is already burning off, and when I go out for lunch it's significantly warm, even hot, and somewhat musty with everything being trapped inbetween the buildings and the subway exhausts blowing upwards. Still, it's been a nice change! Plus with occasional rain and all, I have been loving a difference in the weather. Having the exact same weather day in and day out in California really jaded me.

Last Thursday, I joined a student activity to see the New York City Ballet perform at Lincoln Center. (And shameless plug for Riverside: the prima donna ballerina was actually from Riverside, California! She made me so proud) It was really fun, and beautiful, and when we got out at about 10 o'clock, I was amazed at how beautifully warm it was! I hadn't had a still warm night like that since I lived in Riverside since there was no ocean breeze to screw it up! It felt warm and perfect and I didn't need a jacket and it was a beautiful night in NYC, one that I didn't think existed outside of California. I'm happy I've found it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment