Friday, June 25, 2010

New York's "Chivalry"

When I argue against chivalry being dead, I think it's that I'm just naively hopefully that by doing so, it will be sustained or reinvent itself. I see forms of chivalry often, especially in the working world. Men in suits frequently hold the doors for women dressed for work entering the building, allow them on and off of the elevators first... etc. (By "etc" I mean, that's pretty much it).

But... chivalry comes to a screeching halt as soon as your get to the subway.



When it comes to getting in, or getting a seat, it's every man for himself, and all social practices are abandoned. I mean really. The same polite men in ties cut you off, run in front of you even though you're walking right in, jump on the seat you were about to sit in, it's an absolute paradox. I mean, pushing and crowding around the doors when the subway gets to the platform is one thing... but the overt theft of place and disregard for personal space is atrocious.

Social darwinism at it's best.

1 comment:

  1. GOOD THING I NEVER HAD ANY BEFORE I MOVED TO THIS WONDERFUL CITY WHO CATERS TO THE COMMON ASSHOLE!

    woohoo!!! go NYC!

    ReplyDelete