Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Philharmonic

I joined a volleyball league here in NYC. When I was leaving work after changing into some athletic gear, my boss asked me about it and then asked "who organizes it" and I thought that was a funny question, so with a straight face I said "Mayor Bloomberg". So there's an ongoing joke around here that I play volleyball with the mayor of New York City.

At any rate, it's on Tuesdays and it was my second time. It's so fun! I forgot how much I love volleyball (I got into it the Olympic summer of 2004 when my friends and I used to watch all the Athens games and then play into all hours of the night since my friend had keys to a court, and I took classes and played intramurals in college) and it's fun to be out in Central Park playing! They have both sand and hard courts there, and I'm actually semi making friends!

After the game I noticed a big hullaballoo not far from the courts so I wandered over there to find the New York Philharmonic giving a free concert! It was so beautiful! I was sad not to have my camera. Beautiful music playing in the park at dusk, people all around, fireflies glowing over the grass, the only thing that ruined it was the rain!

It came out of nowhere and started a full down pour with what Forrest Gump calls "big ol' fat rain" and soaked me through. We looked like ants whose anthill had water poured on it as we all walked, ran, and flooded out of Central Park alone, in pairs, with yoga mats and purses over our heads. I had to give up. By the time I got to the subway it looked like I had jumped in a pool with all my clothes on.

But the highlight of it all was the Philharmonic of course

No comments:

Post a Comment