Thursday, June 24, 2010

Welcome Ronnie!!

I am finally "so" happy to announce my that Ronnie B. Choi has just moved to New York City and I will have a friend after all!

Ronnie was one of the very first people I met / friend I made in college. We both lived on the same floor of the San Nicolas dorm at UCSB. On move in day after all the parents had dispersed we had a hall meeting and then somehow Ronnie and I got into a conversation about Audrey Hepburn, and our lives have never been the same!

Here are some of my favorite memories with Ronnie:

-When I made the mistake of once calling him "Ronald" he said "That is NOT my name, and if you insist on calling me something other than Ronnie, you may call me Reginald". It stuck

-One night freshman year Ronnie, me, and our hallmate Emma were heading back to the dorms from a night out in IV. We were passing by one of the small parks in IV and it was quiet and dark and suddenly from the bushes next to us we heard a creepy whistling, Ronnie screamed and ran full force ahead and left me and Emma in the dust!

-My last night in the dorms freshman year I spent in Ronnie's room with him and his roommate Stan and we watched this awful reality show about stage parents... but nothing beats the lifetime made-for-TV movie called Odd Girl Out that we watched and still incessantly quote... "You have nothing that I want!"

-Sophomore year I lived towards the edge of IV, near the cliffs that lead to some beaches on the west end of Goleta. One night Ronnie got it into his head that we should go down there, in pitch black. I even went so far as to head out there, but got so scared by the complete darkness on the cliffs (Ronnie tried to comfort me by some ridiculous battery-less flashlight that operated from manual winding energy). He gave me a really hard time about it but we still laugh about "the trail" to this day.

-Ronnie was so upset that I decided to study abroad in France for an entire year that he started referring to Europe as "Whore-up" in an attempt to deter me from going!

-Once in a conversation about Angelina Jolie's newest foreign adoption Ronnie comments: "Can someone please tell her that it's okay to come back with just a T-shirt when you visit another country??"

-Ronnie came to visit me in San Diego this spring and he insisted that we go find a Chinese buffet for breakfast, and then we rented 3 movies of his choice: all incredibly bitchy, cliquey movies, that did prove for some laughs. Ronnie and I were sitting outside of an Asian market together when we both learned that Brittany Murphy had died.

* * *


Senior year of Halloween, me and Ronnie at a friend's house before going to a party

* * *


This was mine and Ronnie's attempt a few minutes later to "capture" our friendship

* * *


My 22nd birthday party, Ronnie and I were fake fighting

* * *


At a dorm-reunion shindig, myself, Ronnie and my freshman year roommate Neva

* * *


A rare picture of Ronnie and I being nice and smiling! This was when we went around IV with some friends taking pictures at our usual haunts.
* * *

An endlessly quotable friend, Ronnie is also a very loyal, helpful, and dependable person. He got me a birthday present for all my years in college, nevermind that they were basically children toys from the UCSB bookstore... it's the thought that counts! Ronnie spotted me endless meals throughout college (including making me his own Korean noodles and raw egg combo), always tried to help when I was upset or frustrated, even if his advice was only for a good laugh. For instance, once, when I was really frustrated with my school schedule, Ronnie was going over classes with me and said "Ooooh, what about this one? 'Modern Short Story' from the English department. That sounds easy! MODERN, and SHORT!!"

Reginald and I have known each other for a full 6 years, went through all of college together and I'm so excited to have him here in NYC with me... what a new chapter we're writing

1 comment:

  1. BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA. I'm nuts. To more fond memories, our borough war between KRYHATTAN and the King of Queens, and also our 2012 BLOWOUT FEUD that will have the entire city of New York shaking in its boots!

    Don't EVER write a blog post about me again. EVER. EVER. EVERRR!!!!!!!!!

    That or a drink in your face?

    I need a better one liner. At least, I'll have two more years to think about it!

    ReplyDelete