Thursday, June 3, 2010

The San Diego Center

This week I have really been homesick for the San Diego center where I used to work. Because I was a one-woman show in the Student Services department, I really got to know all the students. I joked with them in orientation (and probably scared them too), learned their names, got to say good morning to them as they ran off the elevators late to class, and was invited to birthday celebrations and goodbye parties. Recently some students who have now since left San Diego for their native countries, have posted videos and pictures of our good times, and even wrote messages to say that they miss me at the San Diego center. It's made me a little nostalgic.

Here are my sweet Rayidah and Allolo from Saudi Arabia. I had been in the process of helping Rayidah get necessary paperwork and visas for her brother to come study with us, so we would talk almost every day! I helped her write a formal letter in English, and she was always so sweet and thankful. Allolo is one of a kind! Bubbly and spirited, she just glowed every morning because she loved San Diego and was so happy to be here. She used to give me one complement every morning, it became a tradition!




My dear Seong Eun and Mami, from South Korea and Japan, respectively. I helped both of these girls with their accommodations, and they were very grateful. Quiet, respectful, and sweet girls, they were wonderful to have around San Diego, I mean really, I actually was excited and smiled everytime I saw them walk in off the elevators




My Swiss surfers! Sandra, Sonam and Marco were part of the group that came to a surfing trip that I organized with the school. Great bunch, so energetic and fun! They even let me hang out with them at the beach after surfing and taught me a Swiss card game that I've already forgotten! Ciao Sep?




Ahmed from Saudi Arabia. He liked to push the limits, but was a good jokester and always friendly. I was invited to his birthday celebration where he served Arabian coffee, tea, sweet dates and other traditional eats from his native country. I used him once or twice as a translator for some lower-level Arabic-English speakers. One student had to buy insurance and was confused and thought she wouldn't be able to pay it. Ahmed had to go back to class but pulled me aside to whisper that if she couldn't afford it, to let him know and he would pay it for her. I was so touched! Loyalty for fellow countrymen at its best




Quite possibly one of my favorite teachers in San Diego: Katie! I got to come to her apartment to celebrate Thanksgiving with her and her class, what fun! She's also a native from Rhode Island so I expect to see her on the East Coast sometime soon and we can finally make those shirts and get that drink!!




And the dear working staff that I left (minus Antonella!) Student worker Guinemer from Brazil (so happy you made it back! Infectious positive attitude, willingness to help in all situations, calm, and uplifting), Rose, the beautiful, capable new Student Services ironically from New York!, myself, our great morning student worker Andre from Italy (who has since went back already!) and good ol Joe, my director in from the New York office to help with the transition. Don't we make a lovely bunch and a great team??



Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Kristin, I am so enjoying your blog. You do a great job putting your thoughts into words. Miss you, love, Aunt Frances

    ReplyDelete