Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hudson River Films

I get off work at 5pm. At 4:50, I breakaway to the bathrooms and change into a swimsuit under my dress, slip out of some gold flats in exchange for brown sandals. I come back to my desk, close up shop, and head out, saying goodbye to coworkers as I pass on my way to the door. I walk quickly along the main campus walk to Broadway, duck into market to grab iced tea, blueberries and some ready-made sesame pork before catching the subway downtown, emerging in Chelsea, and meeting Jayna at the Pier 63 field along the Hudson River to lay out, tan, and save our spot for the open-air, under-the-stars film showing.

I knew about these things last summer, but never went, and I really regret it now! In the warm summertime, along the river, including free popcorn (and Starbucks was even passing out free iced coffee!), there are free showings of movies twice a week in July and August, and last night was The Social Network, which neither Jayna nor I had seen. We claimed spots up by the screen and held down the fort for ourselves, and our friends Vanessa and Greg who joined us too.

It still feels a little surreal to be doing all of these things in the middle of NYC, and I'm reminded of it when I see the Empire State Building hovering in the skyline


This is a good showing of the crowd that turned out, although it still filled up even more


Here is the inflatable screen they put up to project the movie onto, overlooking the river and little lights of the New Jersey side


Is it not so beautiful?? Before the movie started, we were enjoying the warm air, the breeze, the river, and loud music playing, including Michael Jackson and Paul Simon. I was SOOOO in the zen.


I couldn't get over how great it was, and how this was where I lived and got to enjoy all of these activities.


When the movie started, Jayna and I lay down on our blanket and towels, made pillows of our purses, and watched the movie warmly out under the stars, and let the booming sound of the video project over us into the field for the hundreds in the audience. I really felt for the first time that NYC was home. The whole activity felt like something I would have done in Riverside (why-- I don't know, maybe just the heat) and getting out and enjoying it made me happy. Nothing is better in NYC than the summertime!! That's probably all I'll talk about until September, so if you can accept that now, you may continue to read this bloggity blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment