Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Morning Papers Culture

One thing I have missed about being walking distance from work (and yes it's possible to have a downside) is the morning paper read on the subway during the commute. I am house/cat-sitting for Betsy again on the Upper East Side, so I've been commuting up to work this week. (I get to play with three kitties!! Maeby is my favorite!)



There are two (free!) morning papers in New York City, and I guess it's the competition between the two (?) that explains why they have people stationed in and out of EVERY subway stop handing them out to busy passer-bys (even though they are also stacked on newspaper-dispensers inside and out as well). However, 99% of these people are SO friendly, and funny, and I love having a morning start with them. The guy I passed today at the NRQ trains stop was so energetic, dancing around. When one girl didn't take a copy he said "I'll getcha tomorrow! If you don't take one today, I'll get you to take one tomorrow!" and when I grabbed one he said "Hey! Where's that smile? Let's see that smile and have a great day!"

The positive energy is such a great start to the day. Not to mention, I love reading the New York-centric news in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment