Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Meet Mitch

Supposedly, her real name is Michelle.



We met my senior year (her freshman year!) of college. I had just gotten back from France, and she pledged my sorority that year. This was the moment I just knew that we would be friends:

At one of the first pledging events we were playing Two Truths and a Lie. One of her statements was that she was born in Iraq. No one knew her at all and she was keeping such a straight face, and everyone felt racist or bad to bring up the Iraqi comment. Of course it ended up being her lie (she is Egyptian and was born in Fresno) and I just thought anyone with that great a sense of humor was my kind of friend! And she was! I like to think that I had quite the impact on her studying abroad in Sweden.

My senior year we spent lots of time together, did lots of events together. My first year out of college she rallied my sorority to buy a train ticket for me to make it to the Thanksgiving dinner they put on every year. Below is Mitch, myself, my lil sis Adara and another fave sorority sis Keid



In an effort to combat my calling her "Mitch", she calls me "Sterile", which was a derivative of my pledge name, Sterling (also hence the blog address!)

Years later and we are across the country and soon to be across the globe from each other. We just had a Skype date. It's been so long but she made me feel much closer to home and with friends again. She's still funny, still encouraging, still inspiring with lots of great stories, intentions, and a great head on her shoulders always considering the deeper meaning and going one step further. I'm glad we still keep in touch



This one's for you Mitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment