Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer Rain

I used to think that it was such a ridiculous stereotype that "it never rains" in California (southern California especially). I mean, I recall plenty of storms, thundering rain that left mud, puddles, and having to eat and play indoors at school enough times. Of course it rains in California!

...Now I'm starting to understand what they mean. It's July and yet New Yorkers still carry umbrellas with them just about everywhere. Afternoon rains, or evening rains following a day of clear skies and intense heat has happened a few times every week. All day today it was cloudy, with enough rain in the afternoon to be considered pouring at one point. This is the middle of July!

I grew up with no such thing as rain in a month that wasn't without a doubt considered winter. On top of that, you could tell if there would be a chance of rain once you woke up. You knew when rain was coming and you could plan for it. It's so weird now!

I don't mind at all, it's a nice break from the monotonous sunshine of California that was actually driving me crazy at the end. I just still haven't processed the idea of carrying an umbrella and the possibility of rain on any given day. In comparison to this, of course it never rains in California

No comments:

Post a Comment